Thursday, March 6, 2008

AUTHOR:
Mark Sandier
TITLE:
Collection Development in the Age Day of Google
SOURCE:
Library Resources & Technical Services 50 no4 239-43 O 2006

This was another great article that explored the differing theories on how much libraries should invest of themselves and thier resources into new technology and how much money should stay with the old ways (ie: books). The author brings up a fantastic point by explaining that many librarians think that people will be frustrated by so much technology and so much choice that they will feel less frustrated by continuing to use their local librarians/libraries instead of researching, etc on their own. The author indicates his disagreement with this by observing the numbers of people who choose to use self-serving tools (the example he uses is online trading- just for one). I can see both sides of this. It is true in my experience that a great many people will go out of their way to let someone else "do the work for them" when possible. Particularly in the area of Florida that I live in, we cater to people here. However, a librarian is not going to do your work for you anyway so..... I tend to agree with the author that libraries that do not change with the technology of change, are very likely to be left behind. Personally, it scares me to think of vast amounts of data not being put in print anymore. But why? Deep down, I guess I lack faith in technology. After all, I can think of many occasions that it has not been there for me- I know no one out there can relate to that!!
Sandier, M. (2006, October). Collection Development in the Age Day of Google. Library Resources and Technical Services. 50 (4), 239-243. Retrieved March 3, 2008 from Academic Search Premier Database.

5 comments:

Greg Eaves said...

My feeling is that more isn't always better, and faster isn't always better. Looking at it from a larger philosophical viewpoint, I don't really like the direction society seems to be taking with technology. Not that technology is all bad in itself, but its proliferation and overwhelming presence is staggering. I like books for the same reason I like meditation, yoga, the smell of flowers and just-mown grass, long walks in the woods or hikes in the mountains. It's earthy, close to nature, relaxing, and closer to my own true spiritual nature. However, I understand the position libraries are in. They have to remain relevant in a changing society if they are to survive. So fancier technology and more digital choices for patrons is the way many libraries have chosen to keep up. Libraries can't change society. They are a reflection of society. I just hope future generations realize the importance of the non-technological things in life. The pendulum is bound to swing back eventually....hopefully before it's too late.

Tamu said...

I feel whether we like it or not technology is growing and growing, so we all will have to adapt. I personally would rather have print resources, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow of things and adapt. It makes you wonder with technology rising more everyday will books be deleted from the library and everything be available only through computers?????

Ken said...

I think the big problem with the assumption that frustration with the Internet will drive people to the library is certainly problematic. If one assumes that everything to found can be found on the Internet, then it follows that anything, x, for which one searches can be searched on the Internet. So, if it's not found on the Internet, x must not be findable period. I know a lot of people who think this way. They usually just give up in my experience -- that includes students.

The technology of the Internet gives us a lot that is not possible with print. I know some people who have learned tradition mediations, for example, through podcasts or web videos because they do not have access to traditionally appropriate teachers. Technology can supplement those things we often consider more organic.

The challenge is not technology itself; it is implementation and use use.

In this vein, I recommend Borgmann, A. (1999). Holding on to reality: The nature of information at the turn of the millennium. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Great read from one of my previous classes - sadly, I don't remember which one!

Richelle Rininger said...

I think that technology is changing and moving ahead whether we like it or not. We as libraries and librarians need to try to embrace that change as much as possible and teach the changing technology to our patrons. If we give off the air that technology change is a bad thing, then our patrons with pickup on that as well. I also think that we need to cater to our patrons, hold their hands (so to say) but not carry then. Help then as much as we can without doing everything for then.

Kate Dunigan AtLee said...

We could probably debate the pros and cons of technology all day, but I will share one of my biggest pet peeves. Though I love how technology allows me to work more efficiently I hate how impatient I have become because of that. I'm not that old, but I do remember when I was in high school in the early '90s and it would take an hour to print out a research paper on my parents' dot matrix printer, or when I was in college and it would take 5 minutes for a Web page to load up (you know, in the days when AOL was still popular :)). Nowadays, if I don't get my search results from Google in less than .28 seconds I start to get twitchy. Similarly, if my boss doesn't get a response to an email from me within 5 minutes she gets upset. My students, so-called "digital natives" have absolutely no tolerance or stamina for the fact that the research process (even with fantastic technology) is lengthy and takes time to do right. This is what technology has done to us.
Where's the balance between running so fast in this technology-enhanced world, taking advantage of the wonderful things technology enables us to do (like have this discussion) and taking a walk in the woods, like Greg says?